25 August 2006

A Garden Farewell

My tongue is smiling.
~ Abigail Trillin


And it has good reason to. I picked the last cucumbers and tomatoes from our garden yesterday and they were worth the wait. The cucumber was crisp and fresh and tasted like a breezy summer day. The tomato was amazing. None of the other tomatoes from this year tasted as incredible fresh, sweet and pungent as this one.

Nothing says summer like a tomato and cheese sandwich and it will be sad for my taste buds to say goodbye to that summer treat as the tomato season winds down. I am not even going to suggest going to the produce section for those horrid hydroponic, genetically altered monsters that pass as tomatoes during the winter. Back away slowly.
They are an insult to summer’s memory.

Oremus pro invicem,
Mikaela

2 comments:

Derek the Ænglican said...

Re: hydroponic tomatoes--horrid, yes.

But acceptable, at least, for oven-dried "sun-dried" tomatoes... ;-)

Unknown said...

Hmm - I love sun-dried tomatoes too. But I've never tried making them myself. Is there a special method for that?