26 June 2008

A Crust of Bread

If thou tastest a crust of bread, thou tastest all the stars and all the heavens.
~ Robert Browning


This Saturday, my housemate Meg will be hosting a charity cookout. Guests bring a dish and any money they would have spent on dinner at restaurant to go to a local charity. My contribution is going to be bread. I had decided on a basic loaf of French bread, but then I came across this article on Serious Eats, which led me to What Geeks Eat. The pictures of those golden crusts convinced me. Saturday morning will find me elbow deep in flour, trying my hand at baking Vanessa’s hamburger buns. I will let you know how they turn out!
Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

Good luck Mikaela, I love the idea of a charity cookout and I think I'll put that on my to-do list. Have fun and thanks for the linky love.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Another good crumb quote from a poet:

God gave a loaf to every bird, but just a crumb to me.
I dare not eat it, though I starve My poignant luxury.


-- Emily Dickinson

(I'm almost certain that I've not written it out properly, though.)