07 January 2014

GoodReads Challenge: Reading Less But Learning More in 2014



If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.
~ Oscar Wilde

Beginning in January, I am participating in the One Page a Day Challenge.  Hopefully by the end of the year, I'll have 365 pages worth editing.


L
ast year, I completed my GoodReads Reading Challenge ahead of my goal: 213 was the challenge, I read 221. 

Would be more impressive if at least a third of those books were all like War and Peace, instead of short novels averaging fifteen chapters each.

So this year, when I was wondering how many books I should challenge myself to read, I decided to scale the number down.

This frees me up to read more non-fiction ~ which I tend to ponder and journal about.  I contemplated reading less paranormal novels, but that wasn’t realistic.

So, 200 books in 365 days it is.  I can just add this challenge to my overall plan for 2014.  
Image credit: Tabby Soltis

Speaking of which. . . .

The Plan – Day Seven Update
In related news, here’s an update on my 2014 Plan

Spend more time with friends
Since January 1, I have spent time with friends 4 times and plan to see four more friends between today and the 14th

Write More
Began journaling on January 1 and haven’t missed a day yet.  I even went so far as to pick a word specifically for January (Letting Go) that fits with my word for the year (Flexibility).

Eat Healthier
Yesterday ~ my first day back at work in almost a week ~ I juiced and ate nothing solid all day. . . and promptly developed a migraine.  This was doubly terrible because I was meeting one of my fellow Sherlockian friends to see Danny Boyle’s production of “Frankenstein” at the Shakespeare Theatre. 

I managed to make it through 2.5 hours of brilliant writing and acting, but that migraine really kicked me in the head and I had to resort to the worst possible non-food meat in the entire universe to stop the agony. 

Still, no beating myself up.  Today, I moved on and ate breakfast.  New strategy – meal planning, with events in mind.

Exercise
Does jogging with your dog in frigid temps count?

New Digs
Haven’t done anything yet.

Find Peace
Well, spending time with friends contributes to my sense of peace and well-being.  But I need to make sure I go to bed earlier.  Because what that really means is that I will put on my jammies at eight-thirty, read for an hour, and lay in the dark for another twenty minutes waiting for sleep to take over.

Since I read on the train, perhaps I should use that hour to meditate and see if that helps me to fall asleep easier.

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela

So far, so good.  How are you doing with your New Year Plan?  Did you pick a word for the year yet?  And are you participating in the 2014 reading challenge?

Content=”URLoftheimage” />

Pin It

No comments: