27 February 2013

La Belle's Hobby Farm: Spring is Just Around the Corner

The first supermarket supposedly appeared on the American landscape in 1946. That is not very long ago. Until then, where was all the food? Dear folks, the food was in homes, gardens, local fields, and forests. It was near kitchens, near tables, near bedsides. It was in the pantry, the cellar, the backyard.
 ~ Joel Salatin, Folks, This Ain't Normal: A Farmer's Advice for Happier Hens, Healthier People, and a Better World



F
ebruary is practically a memory and that means that Spring will be here before you know it.  And you know what that means.

Gardening.

Last year I planted more angst in my garden then vegetables.  This year, I promise myself (and my garden) to prep the ground and get seeds and plants in at the appropriate times.  No more waiting until June!

I already have a rough list of the veggies and herbs I want to plant, but so far, I’ve put off building a plan.  But at least for now, I have a schedule for March: what needs to be sown indoors, and what can be sown directly into the soil. This is just a draft list; I’ll be adding more to it.

Yes, I am an Excel nerd.
Since crop rotation is good for sustainability and conservation, and since I still need to get the field plowed where my new veggie garden is going, the direct sow items on the above schedule are going in last year’s tomato/herb garden, except for the potatoes and parsnips.  They need a little more room. 

Now to find a man with a tractor. . . . 

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela
Want to know what to plant in your region?  Check out Mother Earth News’ What to Plant Now guide!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you thought about trying the no-till method? it seems cheaper, easier, and supposedly gets better results long term. or were you more interested in the man with the tractor ;)

Unknown said...

Well, I wouldn't turn down a man with a tractor! ;)

An acre seems a little too large to do no-till. Maybe I'll change my mind - again - after this year's experiment. But for now I'll plow and till the 1 acre and continue to do no-till for the smaller herb/direct sow garden.