02 February 2006

Poetry, MacBeth & Late Night Coffee

If you can look into the seeds of time,
And say which grain will grow and which will not,
Speak then to me, who neither beg nor fear
Your favours nor your hate.
~ Shakespeare, MacBeth (1.3.58)


Last night, wrapping up a little earlier than we usually do (only because Starbucks was closing), Sullivan lent his fine editorial and language skills to two poems I am submitting to Dappled Things for the Lent/Easter issue. Both of them are related to A Lay of Life and Loss* that Sullivan and I collaborated on in the fall. Battle Cry** was one of the many discarded re-writes of Song One*. Weihnailiuþis or Song of Weihnai**, was written due to time constraints.
Sullivan had suggested I write an actual short story giving the background of ALOLAL. I began to write it and the opening paragraphs were promising. However, the deadline for submission ~ originally February 10 ~ seemed a little too close to do the story justice. So I decided to write a poem instead. The end result is fourteen verses long. God willing they publish it, I will be eager for feedback. Check back here at a later date.
After we finished working on my poems and talking about our social calendars, Sullivan asked me if I had any ideas for future collaborations. My brain and the Muse felt a little tired after concentrating on writing the last two poems, and I did not have anything at the top of my list.
Then I remembered that we had talked about MacBeth. At the time, I composed something very quickly and neither the words, nor the melody was flowing the way I wanted. So I walked away from it. Now, however, it was the only thing that came to mind. Once Sullivan and I began discussing ideas, we both became excited about the project again. So far, it is going to be longer than ALOLAL. Stay tuned! :o)

Oremus pro invicem,
Mikaela

*© 2005 Silver Scroll Productions
**© 2006 Mikaela D'Eigh

No comments: