06 March 2007

American Inklings: March 9 @ 7:00pm

The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cromier

T
he American Inklings will meet again this coming Friday, March 9, 2007 at 7:00 pm at La Madeleine next to Reston Towne Center.

At our last meeting, we did not assign any new exercises. Rather, we were to continue developing our stories and / or any other works in progress. I confess I have not even looked at much less touched my story. For shame! I did however, write and submit two new poems to Dappled Things, which were rejected. :-( Hence, my contribution to Friday’s meeting will be more asking how to become a better writer and editor of my own work.
I already know the answer. For one, I need to write more. Even if it is nonsense or a stream of consciousness on a page. Just write. And pretty soon, something real and substantial will appear. Or perhaps not. But it will clear the cobwebs and get the brain warmed up. The second thing I need to do more of is read. For now matter how fertile my imagination, it will not remain so without a good tilling by other, much better writers. My best poems or stories have come out of being inspired by other writers, other stories. There is nothing like a great phrase or quote that pierces your soul and opens it up to whole new way of thinking or feeling that you can then turn into a new poem or the beginnings of a new story.
I look forward to seeing everyone Friday night and being inspired.

Oremus pro invicem,
Mikaela

No comments: