14 September 2012

Tio Five Friday: Happy Birthday, Lodovico Cardi Cigoli!

Art hath an enemy called ignorance.
~ Ben Jonson

A
ctually, Cigoli's (he is more commonly known by the name of his birthplace) birthday was Wednesday, 12 September, but Wednesdays are reserved for farm updates, so I’m posting my tribute to this early Baroque artist, who was a contemporary of Caravaggio, another one my favorite painters.

As with most Baroque painters, his subjects are religious themes or people from the Bible.  Today I share five of his paintings or sketches that I find most interesting.



Ecce Homo
According to a Wiki article, Caracaggio was also commissioned to paint an Ecce Homo around the same time and there is speculation that Cigoli was aware of Caravaggio’s painting.  He doesn't quite capture Caravaggio's realism, but the colours here are striking, nonetheless.

Sounds terribly gauche, but I love the red hat on the figure to the left of Christ!




The Sacrifice of Isaac
Comparisons are always odious, but I can’t help thinking that as good as Cigoli is, there is something lacking, some fire or passion, that soaks through Caravaggio’s work.  But again, the colours are striking.  You instinctively know that Abraham's cloak is made of velvet.


St. Francis Praying
This painting uses a little of the shadow and light technique found in Caravaggio's paintings, but not as in your face.  I like the contrast of the dark browns and greens of the foreground with the light blue and grey in the background.

And putting skulls in your paintings is always cool.



The Dispute of St. Catherine with Emperor Maxentius
I’ve included two sketches in this list because I love seeing the artistic process on paper ~ as much as something as ethereal as that is can be seen.  It gives me hope ~ because every artist, no matter how beautiful and exotic and perfect the end product may be, always starts out with a rough draft, and scribbles in the margins his ideas for perfecting and realizing his vision.

Also, St. Catherine is just a kick-ass, strong woman.  Ooh rah!


Cupola Del Duomo Di Firenze
See above.  Plus, I love paintings, sketches, and drawings of architecture almost as much as I love the stone and mortar buildings themselves.

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela

What do you think of Cigoli’s technique? Who are your favorite Baroque artists and why?

No comments: