17 October 2012

La Belle's Hobby Farm: Killer Tomatoes!

It is good to be alone in a garden at dawn or dark so that all its shy presences may haunt you and possess you in a reverie of suspended thought. 
~ James Douglas



H
ave you ever harvested tomatoes by flashlight?  Me neither.  Until last night. 

Last weekend I was out of town enjoying organic food and much needed girlfriend time with my buddy Tika ~ who also is a firm believer in all things organic and non-GMO.
It heightened my resolve to eat as much organic, raw, and non-GMO as I possibly could. It just feels better for my body.

All that girl time meant that I wasn’t able to spend “green” time with my rapidly crawling garden.  Even by flashlight, I could see that my tomatoes plants had grown tired of living with the boundaries of the 2x6 boards and were reaching out to take over the lawn.  Now I understand the appeal of the B flick, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

Tomatoes everywhere!

photo © Mikaela D’Eigh 2012

And that was certainly the case Monday night.  I thought for sure the chilly nights, with temperatures dropping into the low 30s that I would be looking at tomatoes sorbet.  Instead there were hundreds of tiny green and quickly ripening tomatoes bunched together.  Perhaps they were trying to keep each other warm!

And the sweetness is unrivaled by any hydroponic, genetically-modified monstrosity you find in a chain grocery store.

Now those are killer tomatoes!

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela
Are you still harvesting produce from your garden?  What is still going strong?

No comments: