05 October 2012

Top Five Friday: Dishes with a Southern Drawl

Southerners can't stand to eat alone.
If we're going to cook a mess of greens we want to eat them with a mess of people.
~ Julia Reed

I
n honor of my vacation in South Carolina this week, my top five list is my favorite southern dishes. 
Y’all eat up and come back!
Shrimp and Grits Cakes - Epicurious
This is a take on a classic Southern dish.  This article says to use USA farm-raised shrimp.  I say – wild caught is better than farm-raised and healthier.

Butter Roll – Southern Plate
Confession ~ I didn’t actually grow up with these, but dang!  These will butter y’all’s biscuit!

Sweet Potato Casserole – Food and Wine
Recently I’ve begun making savory dishes with my sweet potatoes, but nothing says Southern lovin’ like a pecan-topped sweet potato casserole.  I put marshmallows on mine of course.
You may remember I smoked some Boston butt and had a grand adventure doing so.  This is another great recipe.  Because honestly ~ what is better than a pulled pork sandwhich?
Why this cake is particularly Southern, I haven’t a clue.  But it is and honey, y’all are gonna love it!

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela
What are your favorite Southern dishes?

No comments: