30 January 2013

La Belle's Hobby Farm: Savoring Winter


Winter is the time of promise because there is so little to do - or because you can now and then permit yourself the luxury of thinking so.
 ~ Stanley Crawford
 

 

W

 inter is a great time for relaxing one’s grip on the never ending to do list.  There are no weeds to pull, no stems to prune (unless you have fruit trees), nothing to harvest. However, gardeners don’t passively relax in the winter.  There are some tasks we can do that are meant to savored.

While the ground is slumbering, I walk around and test the light and ask myself questions: where does the sun shine the most?  What parts of the land are in full shade?  Are there too many trees around that will siphon all the nourishment away from the vegetables and herbs?  How much work am I willing to do and how much time can I spare on the garden?

Answering these questions now will help determine where the garden will be, how big it will be, and what I plant in it.  Once I figure all that out, I can then look at what needs to be planted inside first, and what can go directly into the ground.

I relish this peaceful time with the land, knowing that this year, I will be ready for Spring.

Oremus pro invicem,

~ Mikaela

What winter tasks do you savor?
 

No comments: