25 January 2013

Top Five Friday: Let It Snow, I've Got My Seed Catalogs to Keep Me Warm!


“It always amazes me to look at the little, wrinkled brown seeds and think of the rainbows in 'em," said Captain Jim. "When I ponder on them seeds I don't find it nowise hard to believe that we've got souls that'll live in other worlds. You couldn't hardly believe there was life in them tiny things, some no bigger than grains of dust, let alone colour and scent, if you hadn't seen the miracle, could you?”
~ L.M. Montgomery

 


W
inter doesn't bother me.  In fact, I love the snow ~ as long as I'm off the roads and in my cozy bed with a hot cup of tea and a good book.  And as January creeps into February, the books I love to read the most on days like today are seed catalogs.

Yes.  That's what I said.  Seed catalogs.  The Fifty Shades of gardners everywhere.

But it can't be just any seed catalogs.  Too many mad scientists and money-grubby corporations have poked, prodded, and genetically modified and otherwise sterlized many seeds.  If you haven't heard of Monsanto, you must be living in a Barbie world and think that food comes from the grocery store. 

Sigh.

All food comes from a seed or a bulb.  Well, all real food that is: fruits, vegetables, grains.  And the best food comes from organically and sustainably grown and harvested seeds.  Also, not necessary, but definitely fun and useful to grow are heirloom seeds: seeds that come from strains of fruit or vegetables grown by our great-great-great grandparents.  Think lumpy, bumpy heirloom tomatoes.  I dare you to eat a GMO'd tomato (even right out of the garden) and then eat an heirloom tomato and tell me they are the same.  There is no comparison.

All five of these seed companies or exchanges sell organic, non-GMO seeds.

Southern Exposure Seed Exchange
 
High Mowing Organic Seed Company
 
Sustainable Seed Company
 
Seeds Now
 
Botanical Interests
Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela
Are you planning your garden yet?  Try Mother Earth News' Garden Planner ~ it makes it easy!

No comments: