30 April 2012

Abbey's 57th Poetry Party!

Poetry is just the evidence of life.  If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. 
~ Leonard Cohen

I
 t’s another Poetry Party at Abbey of the Arts! This month’s theme: the center and the edges. You are invited to write a poem and then post the image below (with a link back to Abbey of the Arts) and an invitation on your blog, Facebook page, and Twitter.

(C) Christine Valters Painter
Can’t wait to see you at the party!

My contribution below ~ a little dark, I’ll admit.  It was one of those days.

Oremus pro invicem,
Mikaela

So often I’ve come to the door seeking sanctuary,
a place to shut out the silence
of pain;
and to forget
the utter loneliness
Of being human
and other.

“Knock and it shall be opened.”

But the door is locked
By some unseen part of my past --
Unmet needs
Hurts unhealed
Unloved lesions left by
Hearts unfeeling.

Does it really matter?
The door remains shut
Dark, cold,
And silent.
Outside, unimpeded,
The rain berates my shivering skin.

If only another would raise
The unyielding iron
And gain access;
Or shout for the inside to open up.
I’ve screamed until my lungs bled
And the chords shattered on shards
Of despair.

But only my pain thunders
back to me
As tears streak the windows.

©30 April 2012 – M. D’Eigh

No comments: