21 November 2012

La Belle's Hobby Farm: Frostbite and Post-Festival Blues

The Pilgrims made seven times more graves than huts. 
No Americans have been more impoverished than these who, nevertheless, set aside a day of thanksgiving. 
~ H.U. Westermayer

N
ovember has been a crazy busy month filled with planning and executing the annual arts festival and I now realize that sometimes, when you pour everything you have into one creative outlet, there is nothing left over for the others.

So my blog, my journal, and my book of poems lie bare and abandoned.  So much for that blogging-every-day challenge.  But a good number of people had a great time immersing themselves in music and culture last Saturday night.  So my other creative outlets are happy for me. 

Now to begin planning for next year…..

In farm news, my tomato plants were frost-bitten, but the fruit itself is still hanging on and very much alive.  I have never seen the like!  Seriously, what does one do with tons of tiny green tomatoes?  Can you even eat them?  A lady I met in the store the other night said I should tie them up in the cellar and let them ripen that way.  Never heard of that either.

Likewise, the basil plant looks a sorry mess.  However, the rosemary is bright green and perky.  And will go quite nicely with the turkey tomorrow.  Except that this year, I will not be baking it.  In fact, I will not be baking or cooking much of anything as my sisters are in charge this year.  Praise God ~ because I’m still a wee bit worn from the festival.

Friday I will try to whip up some recipes for those leftovers.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela
Ahh, it’s good to be writing something other than registration lists, event budgets, and marketing materials.  I always feel like less of myself when I’m not writing creatively.

1 comment:

BQ said...

Huzzah to keeping the creativity going!