13 November 2013

La Belle's Hobby Farm: Seeds, Frost, and Pots of Tea



Farming is a profession of hope.
~ Brian Brett

In November, I am continuing to participate in the Two Pages-a-Day writing challenge.  And I must have been abducted by aliens who replaced my brain with rocks, because I’m also doing NaNoWriMo for the first time.  Someone get this girl a drink!!


M
y garden after our first frost looks like Miss Havisham’s wedding dress.  

At least it doesn’t look like her wedding cake.  Ewwww.

Despite its bedraggled finery, my arugula is still producing bushels of peppery leaves for my winter salads and juices.  Reminds me of the jar of flour that never ran out.

I also managed to gather quite a harvest of seeds to put by for the spring.  My marigold seed collection is ginormous; and that didn’t include the ones that didn’t make it through the frost.  The little soldiers were blooming right up to the last, shaking their tiny orange fists at the encroaching chill.  But there are still some seed heads that are dry enough to collect.

My garden will be drowning in marigolds next spring.

The second largest batch is the cilantro.  I now have a whole jar of coriander seeds.  My zinnias are last in line ~ teeny, tiny seeds that are easily lost.  So I harvested the entire flower head, dried them out, and tap-tapped the seeds onto a white sheet and then poured them into a jar.

So many friends want to exchange seeds (a wonderful way to keep organically grown heirloom seeds in existence), that I decided to purchase some seed packets.  Now, I have a new project in the works and once it blooms, I’ll let y’all know!

In the meantime, all this cold and windy weather is making me want pots and pots of caramel tea!  Not to mention catch up on my writing for NaNo.

Maybe I should add a little whiskey in my tea. . .

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela

Did your county get a blast of cold and frost yet? 

Pin It

No comments: