27 May 2011

Word Count Blogathon Day 27: The Pre-Raphaelites at the Delaware Art Museum

The aim of every artist is to arrest motion, which is life, by artificial means and hold it fixed so that a hundred years later, when a stranger looks at it, it moves again since it is life. 
~ William Faulkner

Wilmington, Delaware.  I must confess I have never been a fan.  To be fair, all I’ve ever seen of it was as a nine year old and it just wasn’t that exciting.  Now however, I find I have one big reason to fall in love with Wilmington:  The Delaware Art Musuem’s Pre-Raphaelite Collection


Rossetti's La Bella Mona, 1875
As friends and faithful readers know, I am the uber fan of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood.  I lost count of how many prints I own; my personal library has several books on the art of the Brotherhood, as well as some detailing their soap opera-like lives.  I even own note cards with Waterhouse’s  The Soul of the Rose on the front.  But even I did not know that the largest collection of Pre-Raphaelites in the United States was only a few hours drive north.

Gas may be over $4 a gallon, but I think a road trip is in order soon!

Do you know of any museums in your area that harbor great collections?  Do share!

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela

No comments: