28 May 2011

Word Count Blogathon Day 28: Summer Reading List

The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it.
~ James Bryce

Summer is almost here.  Actually, here in Virginia it has felt like summer for a few days now: thunderstorms, humidity [or “humisery” as my yankee friends like to call it] and lovely, baking, ninety degree weather.  A small price to pay, in my opinion, sweet iced tea, fried chicken, and being able to enjoy the changing seasons.

School’s [Almost] Out!
Viewing the calendar in semesters and three months of vacation becomes a habit after living that way for over twenty-two years.  And even though I have been out of school for [cough, ahem] years, I still feel the rush of “Summer’s here!  Relaxation!”  Growing up, that translated into multiple trips to the library. 

I will never forget Linda at our local library.  She always laughed and commented on the enormous stack of books I took home every other week.  It was always at least a foot taller than me.  “Are you really going to read all of those books in two weeks!?!”  Some I would have to renew, but most of them I devoured in a few days.  I don’t know if my family was a burden or a blessing to those sainted librarians: we were always checking out almost half the library!

The “List”
Sadly, the days of three month vacations are over [unless you’re lucky enough to be French].  But it is still a great excuse to read more!  And my library cup runneth over with un-read volumes that I have been meaning to crack open.  Most of them will improve my mind and some will give it a little rest.  Both are important to do.   Here’s a partial list.
Love and Will by Rollo May
Love’s Executioner by Irv Yalom
Can Poetry Matter? by Dana Gioia
Interrogations at Noon by Dana Gioia
The Habit of Being: Letters of Flannery O’Conner by Flannery O’Conner
Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling [as a refresher before the last movie installment!]
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
Beauty and the Beast by Marie Le Prince de Beaumont

What do you plan to read this summer?  Any books you would like to recommend? Do tell!

Oremu pro invicem,
~ Mikaela

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this list - I just added a few to my HOLDS list at the library! Happy summer reading.

Pavithra K said...

Can you believe it! I too started on Harry Potter the first book, just yesterday with the idea of not letting my knowledge rust before the last movie!
Also on my reading list is The HitchHiker's guide to the galaxy. Somehow never got around to reading that!

Unknown said...

What a great list! For my summer reading, I'd love to get caught up on the books I've purchased already this year. Most of them are business books. I think I'm going to have to quit my night-time TV time to do it though. Of course, relaxing with a book is never a bad idea.