29 May 2011

Word Count Blogathon Day 29: Organizational Harmony: The Key to Creativity

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That’s how the light gets in.
~ Leonard Cohen

Perfection.  The enemy of the possible.  I've said it before; I'll say it again.  Holding yourself to an impossible standard is a waste of time and creative energy.  However, holding yourself to no standard is an equal waste of time and creative energy.  At least I have found this to be true in my own life.  The day to day minutia takes over like kudzu and one day you wake up and can't find your desk.  That leads to silly excuses like: "I'll clean it off tomorrow and then I'll really write!"  But tomorrow comes, and you look at the stacks of paper and books and just feel overwhelmed.  And you use that as an excuse not to write.

At least that was the scenario I lived with for a long time.

My tolerance for clutter and chaos is pretty high.  My brain works like a mind-map, not an outline [although I do love outlines], and it is always coming up with creative ideas and considers having to think about organization and rules and filing systems is a waste of time.  But even I, the queen of living in well-orchestrated chaos, have my limits.  And about a month ago, I reached it.

So I hired a professional organizer to come in and make sense of the garbled sheet music that is my boudoir / home office.  After our initial meeting, I knew Alejandra was just the conductor I needed to make my life harmonious and in key again.

Once the dust settles [ahem!]  I will let you know how it goes and whether my creativity did indeed get a boost!

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela

No comments: