24 April 2013

La Belle's Hobby Farm: Weathering the Storm

My green thumb came only as a result of the mistakes I made while learning to see things from the plant's point of view. 
~ H. Fred Dale

 
L
ast Friday, a huge thunderstorm roared through here, knocking out our power for most of the night, and tearing all the blooms off the crabapple, apple, and cherry trees.  Fortunately, the lilacs held strong; as for the other, I was able to get pictures of all of them before the storm hit.






Apparently, sugar snaps love storms, because when I went out on Saturday to inspect the damage, they had shot up a few more inches since last week: 



As for my wee pots, the both types of broccoli and tomatoes are already sprouting. *Claps excitedly.*  They were actually outside when the storm hit, so they got a tad flooded; we ended up soaking up the excess water with paper towels because I learned my over-watering lesson last year.  Learn one lesson just in time to make another boo-boo.  When the storm hit, only the broccoli has sprouted. 

Temperatures dropped that night, so I brought them in.  A day and a half later, the tomatoes sprouted.  New lesson learned: getting your seeds to sprout requires a little more care and attention in terms of temperature regulation, a fact I didn’t pay quite as much attention to.

This prompted me to wish I had purchased grow lights.  Which then led to me wishing I had a small greenhouse.  I have a ton of old windows stacked up outside ~ might as well use them.  After all, recycling is part of the organic and sustainable lifestyle.  However, that is a project for later in the summer. 

For now, I’ll just enjoy watching my veggies grow up.

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela

No comments: