01 May 2013

La Belle's Hobby Farm: Lessons Learned Round 3 (and 4)

A garden is always a series of losses set against a few triumphs, like life itself. 
~ May Sarton
 
I
am beginning to wonder if my mother is right (perish the thought!) and the farmers’ life is not for me.

Case in point: the broccoli and tomato plants are still very spindly sprouts, and none of the other seeds I planted in my fiber pots has come up yet.  I wonder if it’s too soon to label them MIA and put some new seeds in and start over. 

Le sigh.

There are really two new lessons to be learned here.

Hobby Gardening Lesson #3: In order to have a fruitful and successful garden, you have to spend at least some time in it.  I love my garden, really I do!  But I also love being with friends, writing, singing, cooking, buying hats (cough ~ more on that later).  I need to recover some balance: time for friends and time for gardening.  Maybe I should combine the two and have my friends come and garden with me.

Hobby Gardening Lesson #4: This is first year I decided to grow my own transplants.  I bought a plethora of seeds, and pots, and even a bio dome!  But I never staked out a rwarm and sunny place to put them.  And I didn’t buy any grow lights.  It’s probably not too late to go out and get some now.  But definitely on my list for next year: build a wee greenhouse this fall so I’ll be prepared for next spring!

As for my mother’s Cassandra-ing, we’ll box that and let our sprouting seeds do the talking.  At least my Sugar Daddy Snaps, Lettuce, and Mystery Greens are growing like weeds.

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela
Missed it?  Hobby Gardening Lesson #1 and #2.

No comments: