29 July 2013

Postcards: Tweeting the Old Fashioned Way

What a wonderful thing is the mail, capable of conveying across continents a warm human hand-clasp. 
~ Author Unknown


T
witter did not invent the abbreviated public thought ~ although keeping it to 140 characters might be new.

Before Twitter, there were. . .postcards.  Costing only a couple of cents plus postage, you could scribble a quick hello from wherever you were (usually some exotic locale) and send them to envious friends and relatives.  But make the content good: there is only so much room on the back!

My letter for Day 29 of 31 Days of Letters is a postcard to my dear pen friend Carol Ann:


Postcard of the Blue Ridge near Clark County, VA
The biggest issue for me is that some postcards are really beautiful renditions of the places I’ve been ~ and I end up keeping them!  So this time I bought two: one to send and one to keep.

Here are some other examples of those snail mail “tweets” of old 

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela

Do you still send postcards?

No comments: