02 June 2014

The Mind and Body Connection: Why I'm Still Talking About Mental Health

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
~ Martin Luther King Jr., I Have a Dream: Writings and Speeches That Changed the World

June is the FLX/WordCount Blogathon!  Join us for 30 Days of blogging madness!



D
ay two and already, I want a go back.

Yesterday, I said that I wanted to spend the next 30 days continuing to talk about mental health and relationships.  But then today, it hit me right in the gut that maybe this month, I should talk about mental health and physical health.

Let’s just say that burger I had for lunch was awesome for about 2.9 seconds and then it became vitally obvious that I should have had veggie juice instead.

The question is, can I blog about it for 28 more days straight??  And would you even want to read that?

So instead, since Baby doesn’t really liked to be backed into a corner about her blog, let’s just say I’m going to continue talking about mental health. Period.

And as I tooled around looking for more writing prompts, I came across A Canvas of the Minds, which runs the official Blog for Mental Health Project.  On here, they pledge to blog about mental health all year long ~ to raise awareness and end the stigma.  

So even though I’m about 6 months late, I’m adding my own pledge.  Because it is really important that we break down the walls surrounding mental health so that people can get the help they need.
“I pledge my commitment to the Blog for Mental Health 2014 Project. I will blog about mental health topics not only for myself, but for others. By displaying this badge, I show my pride, dedication, and acceptance for mental health. I use this to promote mental health education in the struggle to erase stigma.” 
Because mental health matters.

Mind and Body
In other news, my garden is starting to show signs of life.  And this is good, because I am starting to show signs of death ~ or to put it less dramatically, signs of ill health.  I know the why, I just have trouble with the how to stop. 

Image credit: vhealthjuice.com
This past weekend I went camping with a few friends and while it was a great experience and I had more fun than I expected, I hungered for more.  More energy, more strength, more flexibility, more endorphins.

So I decided that I would use this month to really begin my health training in earnest.  My trip to Kodiak isn’t that far away, and I want to be in much better place health-wise before I go.  And in order for that to happen, I need to get both my body and my mind ~ specifically my rebellious amygdala ~ in sync.

Otherwise, those Kodiak grizzlies are going to have one big crazy Mikaela entrée!

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela

This will be interesting, since lately my idea of a workout is holding up a book as I read in bed.  Sigh.  Well, they say a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.  Here I go!

Pin It

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are an awesome writer! Keep it up!