30 December 2005

Beyond the Headlights


It's like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.
~ E. L. Doctorow


I would much rather have writer's cramp than writer's block. Unfortunately, the latter has been more in evidence than former for the past few days. Oh, I write every day ~ it is what one is supposed to do to keep the Muse around. But most of what I have put down on paper is drivel that isn't fit to be seen outside the house! And the headlights of my Muse only illuminate far enough for me to see that perhaps someday, some of it may be turned into something beautiful.

I confess I did compose two or three songs over the weekend. Two of the songs that I composed ~ both without titles at present ~ were inspired by the passing remarks of a friend of mine. Aside from the Lay of Life and Loss that I penned with my good friend Sullivan, most of my music is self-expression and melodic therapy, as some who have kindly and patiently listened to my "funeral dirges" will attest. (Mylanta! That was a really long sentence! Should I re-write it again?! No ~ my fingers are cramping up....)

It never ceases to amaze and thrill me what will inspire a song, a poem or a story. Here was my friend, ascending the staircase (literally) and telling me about how she feels when a certain gentleman friend dances. I "just happened" to be sitting at the piano and I laughed and said, "That sounds like a song!" So I wrote one.

Then last night, she was telling me something the same gentleman had said to her. I was again sitting at the piano (what can I say? Music is like breathing, so I sit there as often as life and time permit me) and again I was struck by the sound of the words and the emotion they expressed. I said to her, "That sounds like another song!" And she laughed, and knowing my penchant for "funeral dirges" said, "Yes, but a happy one!" I quickly scribbled the words down and then played around with a melody. Only two verses for both of them, but it is a start and I can work with something more than I can with nothing!
Did I tell you about my other song, Seven? No ~ it is not about the seven deadly sins or the seven Sacraments. But your eyes must be tired and I only have a few minutes left to wrap up, dry the quill, cap the inkwell and get thee to a nunnery ~ or in this case, Adoration and Benediction (I do hope it is in the Mother tongue!!). Ergo ~ I will tell you about Seven some other time. ;o)
Have a safe and blessed New Year's Eve weekend and may 2006 find you one step closer to fulfilling your dreams.

Oremus pro invicem,
Mikaela

2 comments:

Lisa Cohen said...

The Doctorow quote you cite is one of my favorites on writing. It's comforted me through many of my dry times writing. Just write as far as you can see--when daylight comes, you'll be able to see more of your journey.

best regards,
ljcohen

Unknown said...

Thanks for the encouragement LJ! There's another quote somewhere that says something like - there are days when I wonder if I just dreamed up that I was a writer?!

Meanwhile, I'll keep "praying for daylight." :o)