05 December 2005

Little Rubs & Disappointments

There will be little rubs and disappointments everywhere,
and we are all apt to expect too much....
~ Jane Austen, Mansfield Park

Yesterday afternoon, Beth and I went to see the new Pride and Prejudice with much anticipation and not a little skepticism. Would it stand up to the A&E version? Could anyone really replace Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy?

I am glad we decided to see the matinee showing ~ spending $6 as opposed to $9.25 made it a little less painful once we left the theatre. I do not know (or care) what anyone else is saying in the industry, but for Beth and I, A&E is still the best rendition of Austen's classic and Colin Firth reigns supreme as the best portrayal of Mr. Darcy. Although I must say Matthew MacFadyen is exceedingly handsome ~ but then he's a Scotsman and I have never met or seen a Scotsman yet who was "ill-favored." ;)

In some ways, it is not the film's fault. Trying to do justice to such a beloved work of literature in 2 hours instead of A&E's brilliant 6 hours, resulted in much chopping, condensing and too many close ups of Keira Knightly's eyes ~ beautiful I'll grant you, but in a good film, I wouldn't "see" Keira Knightly ~ I'd see Elizabeth Bennet.

Overall, the characters acted very un-English and the timing and delivery of lines was a little off. What can I say? "Art isn't easy." And I spent most of the movie in a cold theatre and not in Elizabeth Bennet's shoes. It did not put me "in the zone." Having said all that, the soundtrack was beautiful (although not period) and certain shots of the English countryside were breathtaking.

In the end, though, Beth and I watched Tapes I and II to get our Colin Firth fix. ;)

In other news, I am looking forward to seeing Narnia this Friday. The previews promise much ~ we shall see if they deliver.

Oremus pro invicem,
Mikaela

No comments: