06 December 2005

Butterfly Formation

It's all right to have butterflies in your stomache.
Just get them to fly in formation.
~ Robert Gilbert

Five days, one psyched up drummer, one AWOL guitarist, one tentative cellist and one very nervous, I mean, excited, pianist and singer.

You would think that nerves or stage fright would be a thing of the past. I am no stranger to piano competition, nor to the stage. Performing ~ on an actual stage ~ for a small social gathering last Friday night however, showed me that the nerves and shyness that cause my right leg to shake like Elvis has never gone away!

Why is this? When all was said and done, many in the audience Friday evening came up to me afterwards and congratulated me on my performance and expressed their great liking for the music. And yet, I cannot shake the almost paralyzing stage fright that grips my heart each time I play for people other than close friends. Nor the feeling of surprised happiness when people tell me they actually enjoy listening to my music.

Well, it really isn't mine anyhow ~ it belongs to the Lord. May it give Him glory!

Oremus pro invicem,
Mikaela

No comments: