23 November 2005

Half Agony, Half Hope

I can listen no longer in silence.
I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach.
You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope.
~ Captain Wentworth in Jane Austen's Persuasion

Last night I tried in vain to cajole a song out of MacBeth. There were, indeed, some very good lines (you think?!) that lent themselves to be put in song. But he was as elusive as that "damned spot!" (pardon William's French).

So I put MacBeth away and just sat down and let my fingers talk to me. What came out was Austen. Jane Austen. Probably my favorite of all authors ~ yes, above Lewis, Waugh and Tolkien ~ go ahead and call me a traitor! ;o) I'm a girl ~ and I enjoy being one!

Only one verse came out so far, and then I wisely closed the piano up and went to bed to sleep on it. I hope I remember the melody! :P It is a little different style for me. We shall see how it turns out. I have not decided whether I will draw from one specific Austen novel, or from several ~ as Sullivan and I drew from several Old English and Germanic stories and poems for The Lay of Life and Loss. I am heading down to visit my folks and siblings for Thanksgiving, and will hopefully have a chance to work on it while I'm there.

That being said, I will be away from internet access until next Monday. May God bless you and your family!

Oremus pro invicem,
Mikaela

2 comments:

Lawrence Gage said...

Composing music for MacBeth reminds me of the Simpsons episode in which Marge plays Stella in a musical version of A Streetcar Named Desire. It could be quite a hoot!

MJ

Unknown said...

Ha! Well, who knows? Perhaps all MacBeth needs is a collaborator. ;D