08 November 2005

Musings

Creativity arises out of the tension between spontaneity and limitations,
the latter (like the river banks) forcing the spontaneity into the various forms
which are essential to the work of art or poem.
~ Rollo May

At times, one questions whether one has any gifts or talents or strengths. Today is one of those days. The Muse has left me. She had been quite generous with me ~ inspiring me to compose three pieces in roughly two to three weeks. But one of them has been giving me a pain in the region of both my base and treble clefs.

That one song has been through three rewrites already. But last night, I began to write music that I was at least not disgusted with. This is a step in the right direction. This morning, I slept in and had to drive in to work ~ which was a blessing, becuase then I was able to listen to Loreena McKennit's The Visit. It helped me to gather my scattered thoughts and refocus on the big picture of what this song is trying to convey. Hopefully that will translate tonight into more music and lyrics that match.

Sancta Cecilia, ora pro nobis!

Oremus pro invicem,
Mikaela

No comments: