21 November 2005

Success!

I have learned, that if one advances confidently
in the direction of his dreams,
and endeavors to live the life he has imagined,
he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Saturday was a success! We had several performers: a comic monologue; poetry recitations (Sullivan being one of them); drums, piano, guitar and soloists. My friend Natalie sang a few Broadway showtunes that brought down the house! I knew she could dance ~ but her voice! I hope she uses this God-given talent often and well.

For interested foodies, the spread was a hit as well: Bacon Wrapped Medjool Dates; Pita Pizzas; Italian-Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms; Antipasto; Bruschetta, Mini Sweet Potato Pies and Pumpkin Bourbon Cheesecake. To wash it down we served Cranberry Punch and Chaucer's Mead (which went very nicely with our operetta).

As for the Lay of Life and Loss ~ all those nights staying up until 2 am; all the re-writes and revisions; all the tea and hot chocolate ~ paid off Saturday night. Sullivan and I gave the best performance ever (wretched dress rehearsals equal great performance) and the "adoring audience" (my friends) clapped and clapped and clapped some more. The programs Sullivan designed and printed out were beautiful, detailing the story and giving the audience settings to help stoke their imaginations.

My friend Diane, who now lives in New York and knows "people in the business" has asked for a copy of my CD once it's recorded. I must confess that I am a bit overwhelmed! It never ceases to amaze or amuse me that people actually enjoy the music I write. Another friend, Dave, told me that my music put him "in the zone" right away ~ which encouraged me greatly as that was one of the characteristics of a good songwriter that John Jennings had listed last Wednesday: putting the hearer "there" immediately.

Now I am feeling a little after-party let down. So much of my time the past few weeks was poured into either preparing for the party, shopping for the party, writing music for the party or cooking for the party, that now I am at a loss. But not for long! The next item on my list: catching up on all that sleep I lost! And preparing to spend Thanksgiving with my family ~ hopefully a culinary adventure worth writing about!

Oremus pro invicem,
Mikaela

1 comment:

Eric Kingsepp said...

Wooohooo!!!