08 August 2012

La Belle's Hobby Farm: The Birth of Tommy Toes!

It takes a while to grasp that not all failures are self-imposed, the result of ignorance, carelessness or inexperience.  It takes a while to grasp that a garden isn't a testing ground for character and to stop asking, what did I do wrong?  Maybe nothing.  
~ Eleanor Perényi


A
 s I searched day after day for my tommy toes to produce fruit, I  began to wonder exactly that ~ what had I done wrong?

Perhaps I didn’t plant them deep enough.  Tomatoes like to sink their little green feet deep into the earth.  It makes them feel secure, so they’re able to reach up, up, up and spread out.  Well, my plants certainly have done that.

Perhaps I didn’t plant them early enough.  Well, there is no perhaps about THAT!  Amateur that I am, I knew waiting until almost mid-June was a recipe for early plant death at worst and plate plant growth at best.

And sometimes what I feel about my garden is just a mirror to what is going on inside. 

A creative project doesn’t come to fruition ~ it must be because I didn’t spend enough time on it.  Or a problem comes up in a relationship and things don’t work out ~ I didn’t love the person enough. 

But sometimes it isn’t anything we did or didn’t do.  It is that we needed to have a little faith and a lot of patience. 


Photo copyright Mikaela D'Eigh

So I learned from my little Tommys.  It was a long wait, but they finally began to pop out!

Photo copyright Mikaela D'Eigh

Now, could I have done things a little better?  Planted a little earlier?  Put in more compost?  Of course!  So what?!  That’s what life is about ~ enjoying the ride!  So we’re not perfect!  That just means there is always something new to learn and improve upon.  And hopefully by doing so we become the best version of ourselves.

After all, there’s only one of us!

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela

Is your garden teaching you something about yourself?  Like to share?

No comments: