22 August 2012

La Belle's Hobby Farm: The Garden of Fall Eatin'

You can never have enough garlic.
With enough garlic, you can eat The New York Times.
~ Morley Safer


D
ifficult to believe that it is almost September.  Where did the summer go!?
Not that I’m complaining.  Autumn is my favorite time of year and I wait for that gloriously ochre-coloured season with as much patience as a kid waits for Santa on Christmas Eve.
But time enough to enjoy shorter days, cooler nights, and the promise of pumpkins and firelight.  As a gardener who planted late, I’m focused on harvesting my tommy toes in the next couple of weeks.  They’re still going strong and growing up before my very eyes.  I just hope the deer or squirrels don't get to them before I do! 
Aphids and other winged thieves will no longer be an issue: Tia moved her web to the middle of the tomato plants and has put by a huge feast for herself.  I’m thrilled.  I was worried she wasn’t catching anything over on the skunk cabbage (don’t ask). 
The Garden of Fall Eatin’
Now is the time to start planning the fall garden.  Thank heaven for living in Zone 7!  I need to plan and order my Autumn newbies quick ~ the time to plant will be here before I know it.  Here’s my list so far: 
Cabbage (Red)
Collards
Garlic
Kale
Perennial Onions
Spinach

Garlic is one of my favorite crops.  I put it in almost everything.  Sautéing fresh garlic in sweet cream butter smells like home and comfort.  Add some spinach and mushrooms and you have a wee bit of heaven on your plate.

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela
Have you started planning your fall garden?  What’s on your list?

No comments: