10 April 2014

I is for I forgot: Capturing Ideas in the Moment and Using A-Z for Writing Prompts

The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
~ Friedrich Nietzsche

Back in January, I began the One Page a Day Challenge and immediately threw away my quill.  Now in April, I’m participating in the A to Z Blogging Challenge and prepping for a Wilderness Writers’ Retreat.  I need ink, a stiff drink and therapy.


O
ut of sight, out of mind. Strike while the iron is hot.  Don’t put off tomorrow what you can do RIGHT NOW.

Okay, I fudged that last one just a wee bit.  But that’s how I roll.  Or how I should roll.

Because I would forget to go to the dunny if I didn’t have a built in reminder.

For instance, for this post, I had several great ideas and rock star lines.  But I didn’t immediately write them down.  Now, they’re just ~ poof ~ gone.

Nada.

No more.

I need a damn intern to help me keep track of all my to-dos and didn’ts, and don’ts, and darn-it-all-I-have-should-haves. Damn, that’s a lot of D's for an “I” day. (As opposed to a “me” day, which is something very different.)

I is for Instant
Maybe I have mild ADD.  Maybe I need a vacation (4 months, 20 days). Maybe I need to limit my time plugged in to the Matrix.  Whatever it is, the best option for me is to do Action A when I think of Action A.  But when that isn't feasible, I have to write it down.  Because if I don’t, I forget. 
Image credit: Sue Langley

And sometimes, even then, I don’t remember. 

The good thing about this issue of mine, is that I live in the moment by default.  The bad thing is that I’m so forgetful, that I think, “Oh, I’ll get to that tomorrow, I have to do X, Y, and Z today.”

And A, B, and C lie a-molderin’ in the grave of good intentions. 

Capturing Ideas on the Wing
This is hit-me-in-the-head evident with this blogging challenge.  I've already come up with ideas for C posts, D posts, even H posts (which gave me such heartburn).  I’m writing them down in a spreadsheet (because you know I’m an Excel nerd) for future posts.  

The flow of ideas has been so constant, that I’m considering an Alphabet post blogging calendar.  I may not post them in order, but the ideas are there for the writing.

Now, if only I can remember to look at the calendar….

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela

Are you an out of sight, out of minder?  To do lister?  What keeps you on track and on point?
Pin It

4 comments:

Stephanie Faris said...

They say Evernote is a great tool for capturing notes, but I haven't tried it. I usually just keep notes on my laptop somewhere, since I'm on it every minute of the day I'm not sleeping!

Rebecca Onkar said...

I forget in an instant too which means I walk around talking notes into my phone and embarrassing my children.

visiting from A to Z ;)

Unknown said...

Haha - well, most people will just assume you're talking on the phone. That's what I tell myself when I've done that, Rebecca. ;)

Stephanie, going to have to check out evernote!

Unknown said...

Haha - well, most people will just assume you're talking on the phone. That's what I tell myself when I've done that, Rebecca. ;)

Stephanie, going to have to check out evernote!