22 April 2014

S is for Sustainable: Happy Earth Day!

Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.
~ Theodore Roosevelt

Back in January, I began the One Page a Day Challenge and immediately threw away my quill.  Now in April, I’m participating in the A to Z Blogging Challenge and prepping for a Wilderness Writers’ Retreat.  I need ink, a stiff drink and therapy.


H
appy Earth Day!

I’ve been gardening seriously for a couple of years now, dedicated to being organic and as sustainable as possible.

This means no chemicals, pesticides, no GMO seeds or compost.  Companion planting.  Respecting the seasons and plant cycles.

It’s difficult to be 100% sustainable without livestock to help provide manure, etc.  But I’m on the road.

At least to healing my little bit of earth.

S is for Sustainable
One of my farming heroes and role models is Joel Salatin.  Not only is he committed to sustainable farming and living, but he has an acerbic wit and way with words.  He wrote an article for Mother Earth News back in January that says it better than I could.


Happy Earth Day ~ hope you have a chance to get out there and imbibe some with Mother Nature!

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela

How did you celebrate Earth Day?

Pin It

3 comments:

Drusilla said...

I like to be a good steward of the earth. Organic & sustainable are also healthy -- if I wouldn't spray insecticide on my salad, why would I want it on the plants that will make my salad? Ditto fertilizers. Even with a small patio garden, four floors above the street, it's possible to be a good steward. This year, birds have been coming to take twigs for their nests.

Claire Gillian said...

Happy Earth day! I admire and respect what you're trying to do. Best wishes to you.

Unknown said...

Thank you!