31 May 2012

Blogathon Ends...Gardening Begins!

Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. 
~ Lou Erickson



W
 ell, the thirty-one days of tortuous deadlines is at an end. And I am very sad to see it go.  After seeing my lament yesterday, Michelle Rafter suggested she could send me nasty-kick-butt- writer-trainer emails to keep me going.   I would take her up on her offer, but I know even that wouldn’t work for long!

Setting my own deadlines doesn’t last either.  I am way too smart for my own good.  I can’t fool me!  Perhaps I should apply my political philosophy to my writing:

Expect the worst, and hope for the best.

Which is where my garden is right now.  I’ve been silent on the subject of hobby farming because I hadn’t done anything!  However, this past weekend, I weeded the old herb garden, put in some organic dirt, trimmed both a wayward apple tree and a mulberry tree that plopped themselves at the edge of the garden.  After all that, I put in three basil plants, planted half a packet of spinach seeds (in the shade since it was so hot), and gave some love to a forgotten rosemary plant that had risen from the winter’s dead.

Basil is my favorite herb ~ scallops in pesto is a little bit of heaven! ~ so three plants is definitely not enough.  I will have to search out more organic plants this weekend.
 In the meantime, I have forty-eight tomato plants, a number of cucumbers, and four watermelon plants that need homes, as well as some pumpkin, squash, carrot, and various flower seeds that need to be planted.

Guess who’s going to be playing in the dirt this weekend? (And writing about it, of course!)

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela

So glad you could join me for the 2012 Blogathon!  Even though it’s over, I’ll still be here!  So sit down, help yourself to some sweet tea and a honey biscuit, and relax with me awhile.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

Basil is my favorite herb too. But don't tell mint or rosemary or lemon verbena. I always whisper to them that they are the favorite child.
Herbs are the best!
I love to make herbal tea with Holy Basil. It's delicious and good for you too.

Annette Gendler said...

Mikaela, basil is my favorite herb, too. Got two planted on my porch.

Unknown said...

Barbara, lol! So glad I'm not the only one who talks to her plants! ;) I haven't tried making tea out of basil ~ I will DEFINITELY be trying that this summer!

Annette, how lovely! Did you plant them alone or with other herbs?