23 May 2012

If I Started Blogging Today, I Would. . . .

The time to begin writing an article is when you have finished it to your satisfaction. 
By that time you begin to clearly and logically perceive what it is you really want to say.
 ~ Mark Twain, attributed



T
 oday’s Blogathon theme challenge is to think about what I would do differently if I were starting a blog today, but knowing what I’ve learned in the past almost seven years of blogging (has it really been that long?!)



Find My Rhythm
It is fine to write once a week or even once every two months if you are blogging to keep Grandma updated on Little Timmy’s antics, growth spurts, or hilarious faux pas that you can torment him with when he’s sixteen. 

Actually, that sounds more like Facebook then a blog.
However, if you are serious about blogging as a writer, to share your knowledge, your passion, your well-thought out opinions, then you really should post consistently.  For some, that may be once a day.  For others, it’s three times a week.

The Blogathon has been a really good way to discipline myself to write and post almost every day. (Yesterday friends and whisky sours were more important and I was just too ADD to remember to write anything!)  But I think that a good rhythm for me is to publish something at least 3 times a week.

What’s your writing rhythm?

Research Blogging Platforms
When I first started, there were only a few platforms out there and I didn’t know anything about anything technical.  I still don’t, really, but from everything I’ve seen, I would go with WordPress.  Their platform seems like it can do a lot more, especially if you know more techie stuff.  But even if you’re a non-tech geek like me, it still has a lot to offer.  Plus, you can have your own domain name.  Which leads me to my third thing….

Do you have a favorite platform?

Shorter, Catchier Address
When I started this blog, I was very POD (Pious and Overly Devotional) and so anything in Latin was ipsum.  Now, however, it’s a pain in the asinum to type the whole address and it’s not easily remembered.  On top of that, it doesn’t convey what the blog is about. 

What’s the best address: short and memorable?  Or means what it is?

The Whole Enchilada
In today’s social media saturated world, it’s better to have the whole package: blog, twitter handle, and Facebook page.  I do have a Facebook page, but because I didn’t think it through, it’s less an extension of my blog and who I am as a writer and artist and more a personal page where I friend only people I have actually met.  And even then I have to preface my emails with, “Hey it’s X, only under my pen name!”  Which kinda misses the point of having a non de plume if everyone knows it’s you!

Has Facebook helped your writing career, and if so, how?

Be Not Afraid
And because of that last doh! moment, I’ve limited myself.  There are certain posts I would like to publish, but I can’t because someone that knows me might read it and be offended or hurt or not accept what I am saying (the whole “prophet in his hometown” issue).  This one is a real kicker, and I have actually considered starting a new blog under a second pen name just so I can publish my thoughts, research and passion for other subjects.

Of course, anyone who writes anything is bound to offend someone somewhere, so might as well just write (as long as it is well researched and thought out and not just venting your spleen in the heat of the moment) and let the tomatoes be thrown!

Here’s to becoming a more consistent writer, a smarter blogger, and a serenely unafraid person because of it.

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela

What would you do differently if you could start your blog over again?

4 comments:

Jodi Torpey said...

I really like the look of your blog! I also appreciate your blogging insights...and the Latin is a great touch, too.

Unknown said...

Each point is an absolute winner! I wish I had started on Wordpress, the conversion from Blogger wasn't fun. I wish I had paid closer attention to the copywriting tips for titling posts. And I wish I had blogged through a few times in my life when I was afraid of what people might think. Win Win!

Unknown said...

Jodi - thank you so much! I recently changed the background and am much happier with it. ;)

Liberty - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that you're a Monty Python fan too!! What is your favorite skit?

Unknown said...

Absolutely great suggestions. And you're the second blogger I read this week who said they'd want to write more truths, or something to that effect. Basically, it was about what you said it is: fear. Lose it. Yes! I like that.