21 May 2012

The Silence between Words: Writing Haiku

It is the job of poetry to clean up our word-clogged reality by creating silences around things. 
~ Stephen Mallarme


M
ondays in May are theme days for Blogathoners and today’s theme is to write and post a haiku.  Last year, I posted a little bit about what a haiku is and posted one that was 5-6-5.  Traditionally, it follows a 5-7-5 syllables per line pattern, which this year's haiku follows.   Enjoy!



Dew
Plump petals quiver -
The thunder was long and loud.
Sorrow slips down, slow.

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela

Try your hand at haiku and post either it or a link to it in the comments! 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful choice of words, Mikaela.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jackie!

patti said...

Mikaela
I loved your haiku - I read it and felt it - hope you are well
Patti

Barbara said...

I love the whole idea of haiku, capturing the present moment, spare words, use of nature. It's all good. I usually do better with fewer syllables as some books recommend for English.
Here's one:

Silver blooms
fading to green
two doves watch.

Unknown said...

Patti ~ thank you so much!!

Barbara ~ beautifully said and I love your haiku! Thanks for sharing.

Sun Hee Yoon / 윤선희 said...

Your blog is so inspiring! Your wordings are rich and concise. I love it! - Sun Hee

http://fierymemoir.blogspot.com/