31 May 2013

Top Five Friday: Reasons You Should Join WordCount's Blogathon

There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.
~ Maya Angelou


T
he Sixth Annual WordCount Blogathon begins tomorrow and there is still time to register!

This will be my third year participating and my goals this year are to post all 30 days (even if it’s just a haiku!), to forge friendships with new bloggers, to have someone guest post at least once, and to be better writer by the time the last drop of ink dries.

So why should you join us? 

 
Everyone Has a Story to Tell
And no one can tell it the way you can.  I’ve mentioned this before ~ your story, your voice, is unique and we want to hear it.  Who knows how many hearts will be moved, or lives changed, because you took a deep breath, stepped up to the keyboard, and shared your story.

If you are a writer with a book already published, this is a great opportunity to reach new readers.  And if you are a writer without a blog, now is the time to start one.  Nowadays, publishers like to see author blogs and their potential readership reach.

Writers are a Truly Supportive Community
It has been said before, but it bears repeating: writers (and indeed most artists) are truly the most supportive group of people I have ever met.  They’re open, friendly, and encourage each other to hone their craft.  Positive constructive criticism has always been my experience and the writers who are part of the Blogathon are no exception.

Socrates and Byron Were Dead On
“The unexamined life is not worth living.” and “If I don’t write, I go mad.”  I am never more honest with myself then when I am writing.  And this is doubly true when I blog, because then I have an audience who can check my facts or may be helped or hurt by what I post. 

Some of my friends would raise their eyebrows and say that I tend to overanalyze everything, including myself.  But what they don’t realize is that it would be much worse if some of that examination wasn’t vented on paper ~ or in this case, the computer screen.

A Stagnant Life Grows Nothing but Algae
As we get older, we tend to stagnant, both in terms of lifestyle and though patterns.  Don’t misunderstand me, routine is not intrinsically evil, it can help you accomplish goals.  But not when it means you are never exposed to new ideas, methods, and perspectives.  During the blogathon, you will meet new people and encounter new blogs.  And if you are open, I guarantee you will learn something new.

Let’s Give Them Something to Talk About
“But I have nothing to say, nothing worth writing about!”  Well, then, here is your chance to do something worth talking (and blogging) about! 

·         Hike that state park you’ve been meaning to visit and tell us what you saw. 
·         Sign up for a cake class and show us how to properly ice with buttercream. 
·         Visit your older neighbor and write down his or her experiences during WWII or Vietnam.
·         Start a community garden and post your lessons learned.

My number reason?   Writing cures writers’ block.  Once you start, the ink just continues to flow and you will have more ideas then you have time to write about.

And I can’t wait for that river to run.

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela
If you join, email me.  I’d love to get to know you and read your story!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Oh, I LOVE this, Mikaela! That one about 'a stagnant life grows nothing but algae' really made me chuckle! Very true, though. I'm so glad to have met you. I've just taken a wee tour round your blog and recognise a fellow Pre-Raphaelite fan! As well as a true spiritual heart! I've a feeling I'll be back (but not in a weird, stalker-ish way)!