27 September 2013

Confessions of a Pinterest Addict



Danny did not think coke and computers were anything alike. But Jude had seen the way people hunched over their screens, clicking the refresh button again and again, waiting for some crucial if meaningless hit of information, and he thought it was almost exactly the same.
~ Joe Hill, Heart-Shaped Box


In September, I’m participating in the Sapphire Even Day Blogging Challenge and the Two Pages-A-Day Writing Challenge. 



T
here should be a twelve step program for Pinners.  I’d be the first to sign up.

And the first to fall off the wagon.

What the heck is it about Pinterest?  No, I mean seriously, what is it!?  I heard whispers about it, ignored it for a long time (I already click too much on FB, now you want me to sign up for some other time eraser?!)  But finally, after many months of clean living, a friend got to me. 

Darn peer pressure!  I thought that ended in college!?

Within five minutes of setting up my account, I had five boards.  By the end of the day, ten.  Today?  Twenty-seven.  And like most addicts, even if I  have just clicked off the page and gone on to something else, I’m jonesing for another click.  One afternoon, I kept pinning and laughing and pinning until an hour had gone by!  How crazy is that?! 

Two of my favorite pins from my Pinterest boards have to do with this insidious addiction:
 

Image Credit:Someecards

Image Credit: DumpaDay

Aside from an incessant need to “pin” and check other people’s boards, Pinterest does serve a purpose.  It’s a great place to, well, pin articles, quotes, and pictures in a place that you can easily access on the go.  (And yes, I did indeed join the dark side and downloaded the Pinterest app.)  Unlike FB, where posts and status updates get lost in the shuffle, if you forget you pinned something, you can just pull up the board and look through it. 

It’s also a great way to connect with people who have similar interests.  Kimberly asked us to share our favorite boards ~ although at this point, that’s a little like asking to pick a favorite among your children:

Art ~ where I can indulge my great love for the PRB.

Austenesque ~ where I pin everything from drool-worthy fountain pens and stationary, to advice on writing.

How to Love Everyone ~ Attraction begins with a glance.  But love begins with knowledge.  And to truly understand someone, you need to have a basic knowledge of psychology.  Remember my mantra? (Hint: I mentioned it yesterday.)  This board contains a lot of advice and some wisdom on how to understand, and therefore love,  others.

Muir Board ~ The beauty of nature.  John Muir is one of my heroes, as both a writer and a naturalist.  I would totally marry him and we would live in a National Park.  If only the Tardis were real. . . .

Quote Queen ~ big shocker, I know, but I love quotes!  322 pins and counting.

But don't save me just yet.  I need to pin one more thing.

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela

Do you “Pin”?  Share the link to your boards!  And follow me into another sweet addictive session of “pinning.”

Pin It

2 comments:

Being A Wordsmith said...

I had to pin this to my boards twice because I wanted to capture both pinnable pics! Classic pinaholic, Mikaela. 322 quote pins? Wow. Thanks for sharing and linking up! One more writing prompt to go.

Alison said...

Welcome to my world! I cannot for the life of me understand where time goes when I'm on Pinterest! LOL