13 September 2013

Top Five Friday: It's National Mushroom Month!



In my carpet bag are the mushrooms that I gathered in the woods.
With two fingers I pick up a piece and look at it.
Then I take a bite and wait for my body to react.
Now I'm in a better mood.
In a short time I'll be dead.
Or alive. I'm not always sure that there's any difference.
~ Peter H. Fogtdal, The Tsar's Dwarf

In September, I’m participating in the Sapphire Even Day Blogging Challenge and the Two Pages-A-Day Writing Challenge. 


S
eptember is National Mushroom Month.

Whoaaaaa, niiiiiice, man!

Not those kind of ‘shrooms, dude!  Although there are some that will kill you, so you have to know your forest fungi before you pop one in your mouth.

I hated mushrooms as a kid, and I still don’t like to eat them raw.  But sautéed, fried, ground up into a spreadable paste?  Yes, please!  I’ll have seconds!

My favorite way to consume this little bit of fungus among us, is in mushroom gravy.  Mom used to make the best mushroom gravy when I was growing up, but of course, now that I’m dairy-free, I use vegetable broth as a base, and not milk.  Which is just fine, because you add red wine to that iron skillet and baby, everyone who isn’t already in the kitchen, comes running in!


Image Credit: Epicurious
When people ask me about my foodie lifestyle, I usually say I’m vegan except for the meat.  But really, I should say I’m a meataholic who not only keeps falling off the wagon, but jumps off and runs to the nearest butcher!  At least when I’m devouring animal proteins, it’s organic, humanely raised, and not fed any nasty GMO’d feed.

Seriously, did you read Frankenstein?  I don’t want that guy anywhere near my food!

Anyway, I blame my meat wagon ways to the high stress I’ve been under the past few months (Oh, you picked that up, did you?  Smart cookie).  But I am committed to getting back to eating a higher percentage of vegetables and fruit.   

For me it’s about health and nothing more, although I make no judgments on meat eaters (this would be the height of hypocrisy) nor do I snort at those who eschew it (see what I just did there?)

But since I am committed to both eating and promoting a healthier and more sustainable lifestyle, here are five vegan recipes to celebrate the great fungus among us this month.






Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela

If you have a vegan mushroom recipe, do share it with me on Pinterest.  I’m always looking for new ones!

Pin It

No comments: