06 September 2013

Top Five Friday: Almost Autumn Recipes (That are Vegan!)



The foliage has been losing its freshness through the month of August,
and here and there a yellow leaf shows itself like the first gray hair
amidst the locks of a beauty who has seen one season too many. 
~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

In September, I’m participating in the Sapphire Even Day Blogging Challenge and the Two Pages-A-Day Writing Challenge. 


S
eventy degree weather. Shorter days.  Cooler nights.  And a feeling of being just on the cusp of a shadowy precipice.

I can’t wait to fall into Autumn.

Some may think it’s too early to begin thinking about pumpkin patches, bonfires, downy comforters, and fuzzy socks.  But like Galadriel, I’ve been feeling a change in the earth, in the water, and in the air.

It is restlessness. 

And a primal knowledge that a cold winter is coming and we should prepare.  Canning, freezing, darning, knitting.  Putting by.  All these end of summer activities should be ramping up as Autumn approaches.  And I for one, am peacefully excited.  Because Autumn is my favorite season.  And since October will be upon us before you know it, here are some Autumn-esque recipes to get you in the mood to welcome the season of burnt orange and rich cranberry.

They are all featured on one of my favorite recipe sites: The Gluten-Free Vegan.  Enjoy!

Roasted pumpkin.  Fried pumpkin.  Anyway you like it pumpkin.  Don’t tell anyone you put pumpkin in this soup until after they’ve moaned over how good it is.  I don’t know why people are adverse to pumpkin in their soup.  It’s a wonderful thickener and much better for you than white potatoes.  So have at it!

Confession time: I hate Swiss chard.  I know!  I’m a horrible gardener and a terrible person!  But the fact remains, I think Swiss Chard is bitter and nasty.  I replaced it with spinach and arugula in this recipe.  Arugula is spicy and sharp ~ the perfect substitute.  And it’s still growing in my garden!  See ~ not so horrible after all.
Image Credit: Pinterest

Sounds weird, tastes great.  And yes, it is filling.  And so cute when you bake them in the little loaf pans.  I even tried this in the mini bundt pans ~ don't.  They stuck.  But otherwise ~ a cute little addition to the Autumn table.

To top is all off ~ a beautiful gluten-free apple crisp.  If there’s anything better than pumpkin ~ but of course, how silly, there isn’t ~ then it would be apple crisp.  Eat this along with a cup of Constant Comment tea and you have a little bit of comforting heaven.  Also, your guests will think you're Julia Child on a stick.   

Wait, that didn’t sound quite right….

Okay, I lied.  After pumpkin, the next best thing is gingerbread.  Now matter how insane or dark or darkly insane my life gets today, I have great childhood memories of baking gingerbread cookies and drinking pots and pots of tea (does tea stunt your growth?  Maybe that’s why I’m five foot nothing).  These are even better because they’re gluten-free and vegan.  And they actually taste good.

And now I have Da-boo-doray ringing through my head, except I'm singing it to welcome Autumn!

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela

The prompt asked us for 1-2 recipes, but it is Top Five Friday.  So enjoy!

Pin It

2 comments:

Being A Wordsmith said...

I appreciate the 5 recipes! I had Pumpkin Soup for the first time in Jamaica while on my honeymoon. Loved it! I am still learning what vegan and gluten-free are. But I could really get down with the Apple Crisp and Gingerbread Cookies recipes. Not to mention, my 6 year old would love them too. Julia Child on a stick. Ha! Thanks, Mikaela.

Mocadeaux said...

I clicked on the Autumn Harvest Soup, then I had to click on the Roasted Pumpkin Risotto, then I had to "pin" both of them but I'm back now. Great recipes!!! Thanks for sharing!