26 June 2013

La Belle's Hobby Farm: The Cutest Cucs!

It is good to be alone in a garden at dawn or dark so that all its shy presences may haunt you and possess you in a reverie of suspended thought. 
~ James Douglas, Down Shoe Lane


A
nd that’s where I was Saturday morning ~ in my garden, keeping both weeds and the grass at bay, and sweet talking my green babies into growing bigger and faster.

Mothers aren’t supposed to have favorites, but admit it ~ you know you do.  Well, so do I.  Nothing beats a tomato sandwich in the summer, and pickled okra is pretty near heaven, but cucumbers ~ especially when the plants are just growing ~ are the cutest things ever!

If you don’t believe me, just look at these babies!  They have shot up like nobody’s business in the last couple of weeks:


© 2013 La Belle Dame de Merci Blog

But that’s not where they get their cuteness from.  No, that’s in how they climb.  They wrap their wee green tendrils around whatever you place near them ~ in this case, the walls of an old dog crate:


© 2013 La Belle Dame de Merci Blog
Seriously, how does that not make you go “Awwww”!?

Of course I would never say that to my plants.  The tomatoes and corn are right there after all.  Although the corn doesn’t have ears yet. (Bada bing!  Come on, you knew that was coming!)  But I’m so proud of them too ~ they seem to shoot up a foot every time I go out to check on them:

© 2013 La Belle Dame de Merci Blog


Yeah, not sure why this guy wouldn't upload right side up.  But you get the picture. ;)
© 2013 La Belle Dame de Merci Blog
Cilantro is growing into a bush ~ need to trim some and bring it into work tomorrow:

Same with this one. Argh!
© 2013 La Belle Dame de Merci Blog
And the basil is chugging along, although not nearly as big as I’d like:


© 2013 La Belle Dame de Merci Blog

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela
What are your garden favorites?  Don’t worry ~ I won’t tell them.
 

2 comments:

bookworm said...

My garden favorite is the tomato. The plants aren't nibbled on by animals. You can grow them in pots if you don't have room for a garden. They come in so many colors: white, yellow, green, red, brown, and striped. One variety has ornamental silvery leaves. Another one has fuzz on the fruit like a peach. And there is nothing, nothing, like a fresh picked tomato, still warm from the sun, sliced and inserted between two slices of good bread with a gob of mayo. (Don't tell Weight Watchers).

Unknown said...

Alana, Yes indeed! I LOVE tomatos with gobs of mayo! No worries, you're seceret is safe with me. ;)