24 June 2013

The Art of Haiku

There is poetry as soon as we realize that we possess nothing. 
~ John Cage


P
oetry is like freewriting ~ with meter (and sometimes) rhyme.

Today is Haiku Day at the Blogathon.  (More about what a haiku is here.) 

Much like when I sit down to freewrite, I’m never quite sure what poem will come out of my heart and onto the page.  Usually, I have a vague idea or emotion I want to express; writing it in a set meter or rhyme pattern helps bring shape to the mist in my mind.

Sometimes the emotion is not vague at all, and its very intensity molds the poem ~ fierce, fast.  Then I step back, assess the emotion and the words painting it, and keep some, replace others.

Here is this year’s haiku, no edits; just a quick freewrite:

Attack
No breath here. Dying,
Even the sun has faded
From panic’s eyelids.

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela
Try your hand at writing haiku!

No comments: