06 June 2013

My Favorite Apps: Blogathon Theme Day

It's supposed to be automatic, but actually you have to push this button.
~ John Brunner, Stand on Zanzibar

During the Blogathon there will be several “Theme Days.” Today’s post follows this week’s Favorite App theme. ~ MD
 
 
T
oday’s post is a little ironic after talking about getting back to nature yesterday.  But as with most things in life, I opt for a both/and mentality rather than either/or.

Having said that, I will say that I am as much of a techie as the Tenth Doctor: “it’s more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly, timey wimey…stuff.”

Yeah.  That.

However, I do own a smarty-pants phone.  And I do have some apps that I use.  Often.  Sort of.



Kindle App
Traitor!  Oh, the horror!  I know ~ I download e-books.  Gah!  Off with my head!  Hey! Don’t be an e-book hater!  I have a really good reason: my Goodreads Reading Challenge is 213 books by December 31 and so far I’m only 5 books behind in my goal!  I would actually be ahead of my goal, except that there are some books I’ve read that I hated so much I didn’t bother saying I’d read them.  (I’ve mentioned their type before.)

But I digress.

The Kindle App is awesome!  I’m a Gen Xer, and while not nearly as insane as my younger Gen Y siblings, I do admit to struggling with instant gratification.  “Download, darn you!”  So when I was blessed enough to find authors (mostly these lovely ladies!) I love, my Kindle App lets me buy the next book in the series without wasting gas money, killing a tree, emitting noxious car fumes, or contributing to a traffic jam.

The book-books I own are almost all used.  And my dears, you remember the last scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where they’re putting the Ark in a warehouse?  That would be my library: boxes and boxes of books.  Too bad there’s not an app for building bookshelves.

Doctor Who App
This one speaks for itself.  Literally.  Allons-y!

MRIS Homes App
A realtor showed me this one.  Great little tool for finding homes for sale or rent wherever you are.  The app looks at where your phone is “standing” and gives you surrounding area sale and rental info.  The only downside?  It’s a pain if you want to look at homes in your town, while you’re on vacation in Boro Boro.  You can change the geo search parameters, but it’s crashed on me a couple of times when I tried that.

Ebay App
Let’s just keep this app between the two of us, shall we?  No telling my friend Tika.  It’s her fault I even downloaded the thing.  It totally supports my vintage hat habit.  Wait…need to check my last bid….

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela
What are your favorite apps?  Have they helped you or made it easier to procrastinate?

No comments: