03 June 2013

Mirrors and Reflections: Tweetspeak Poetry Prompt

Poetry is a mirror which makes beautiful that which is distorted. 
~ Percy Shelley, A Defence of Poetry
 
 
M
irror, Mirror.  That was today’s writing prompt for Everyday Poems’ Tweetspeak.

What is it that we see when we look in the mirror? Truth?  Fantasy?  Distortion? 

What do we feel when we look in the mirror?  Pleased?  Disgusted?  Inspired?

I don’t know about men, but I know most women look in a mirror with trepidation and dis-satisfaction, and I am not immune to the havoc wreaked by that little piece of reflective coating on glass.  But if I want the reflection I see to change, then I will have to work to change the reality.  Not an easy task, but at least one over which I can exert some modicum of control.

The writing prompt asked about how mirrors can be allegorical, but when I began writing my poem, the literal aspect is what came through.  So here is my contribution:

Power Play
© June 2013, M. D’Eigh

Mirror, mirror
The power you hold –
Holds me down
Holds my frown.

The pieces of me
That you show
Shows me hope
Shows my despair.

If only I could see
What is fantasy –
Cold reality
Only breaks me.

Mirror, mirror
The power you hold –
Sets me free
Lets me see

The power to change,
To re-arrange -
Here resides in flesh and pain,
Time, and a dream.

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela
What about you?  What does the word “Mirror” conjure for you?  Write a poem about it and post it on your blog or at Everyday Poems.

Mondays I post about topics related to Writing, Fine Art, and Relationships.

2 comments:

Babette said...

Mirrors have become "too much." So much so that I know someone who doesn't even have mirrors in her house because she just doesn't want to look at herself.

I've been know to say not nice things to my own reflection, and that is def. a bad thing...
when I DO feel good about myself, I love a mirror!

Unknown said...

Amen, Barbara! i think we care too much about what society says we should look like. The end goal should be health for our body type. I'm slowly working towards loving my body into optimum health.