07 June 2013

Top Five Friday: Favorite Blogs of the 6th Annual Blogathon

What's writing really about? It's about trying to take fuller possession of the reality of your life.
~ Ted Hughes

T
here are over 200 people participating in the Sixth Annual WordCount Blogathon;  a great chance to make new friends and learn new things. But with so many on the list, where do you start?

I’m a book-Cover-Judger, and when scrolling through the list of Blogathoners, I clicked on the titles that piqued my interest.  It didn’t always pan out, but it’s a good place to get to know my fellow writers. 

And so without further ado, here are my favorite  five blogs from the Blogathon for this week!


Babette’s Feast is my favorite indie film, so how could I not visit Barb Freda’s blog?!  Barb writes about food, writing, and painting.  I especially loved her list of pantry staples, a list I need to make for myself.  I’m always running out of something or other!

My mother grew up near Blacksburg, Virginia, so the Blue Ridge Parkway is a familiar, and beloved, road.  Honestly, I don’t think any other place could be more beautiful.  I’d move there myself, but the commute to DC would be killer.  Bruce Denton’s reflections on life in the Blue Ridge are restful, and his photography is breathtaking.

Joby’s “About Me” blurb says it all:  
Alright. You caught me. I'm neither nomad nor farmer.
There's some sort of contradiction there, anyway. 
Sometimes I find that I live in a world of contradiction.
I'm pretty okay with that.
He loves music, gardening, storytelling, and writing.  What makes me a fan?  He adores snail mail letters.  What do you think, Joby?  Want a new pen pal?

An anti-HOA gardener?!  I love it!  My ‘burb dwelling friends always tell horror stories about fascist HOAs; makes me doubly glad I live in the country!  The cows next door don’t care what colour we paint our roof.  Well, Cristina Santiestevan doesn’t care what her HOA thinks, and has even gone so far as to plant her unapproved garden in the front yard!  You go girl!! 

Rosemarie Thompson is my new garden hero.  And I confess to a little garden envy ~ just look at her photos!  They are an inspiration for me to make more time for my wee garden.



Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela
What new blogs have you discovered during the Blogathon?

No comments: