24 August 2013

An Old Fashioned Meme: Seven Years Later



All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy;
for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves;
we must die to one life before we can enter another. 
~ Anatole France


In August, I’m participating in BlogHer’s Blogging Challenge.  The theme this month is: Hot.


R
emember when a meme was a list of questions you answered and then tagged a bunch of friends to also answer?

I found one I participated in seven years ago.  For fun, I decided to do it again.  Interesting to see how my answers have changed.  Some things I said seven years...well, some lifestyle changes have been made since then.



What were you doing 10 years ago?
That would have been 2003.  The only event that I can remember without my 2003 journal nearby (this is why journaling is good!) is that I was in a relationship with a man who was living a lie and knowingly leading me on.  Ten years later, I still have rare moments where I want to just punch him.  Mostly, I’ve moved on to forgiving my younger self for ignoring all the red flags.

What were you doing 1 year ago?
A year ago today, I was trying to eat all the tomatoes my first garden was producing and preparing for the fall planting.

Five snacks you enjoy:
1. Kombucha (well, I guess it’s technically not a snack)
2. Raw Coconut Macaroons
3. Fresh basil with tomatoes
4. Chocolate-covered Gojii berries
5. Iced Cold-Brewed Coffee with Coconut Milk Creamer

Five songs you know all the words to:
1. The Highwayman (Loreena McKennitt)
2. Sleepsong (Secret Garden)
3. Better Dig Two (The Band Perry)
4. Jacob’s Dream (Alison Krauss)
5. You Are Water (Hayley Westenra)

Five things you would do if you were a millionaire:
1.  Pay all my medical bills
2.  Either buy my childhood home or a B&B with an organic farm connected to it.
3.  Visit Alaska 2-3 times a year
4.  Buy a Steinway concert grand (this is still true seven years later)
5.  Pay all the bills for a friend I know is struggling

Five bad habits:
1. Not writing every day (this one from 2006 still gets me, but it’s not as bad because I keep signing up for these writing challenges!)
2. Hitting the snooze button
3-5. 2006’s answer still stands: this is not a talk show.

Five things you enjoy doing:
1. Reading (which oddly didn’t make it on the list in 2006)
2. Spending time with friends (still true)
3. Writing essays for my blog
4. Gardening
5. Hiking waterfalls

Five things you would never wear again:
Seriously?

Five favorite toys:
1. My baby grands – yep, 2 of them (still true, although it’s been a YEAR since I’ve touched that type of keyboard)
2. Pen and ink collection (still true)
3. Kindle App on my smarty-pants phone
4. Roads of Rome I, II, and III
5. Is Netflix a toy?  Well, it’s a favorite.  I’ve gotten through 4 seasons of ST:NG on there, and was introduced to BBC’s Sherlock.  That is all.

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela

Did you do a meme like this years ago?  How have your answers changed or remained the same?


Pin It

No comments: