23 August 2013

Top Five Friday: Why I'm Glad I'm Not Famous



Make your ego porous.
Will is of little importance,
complaining is nothing,
fame is nothing.
Openness, patience, receptivity, solitude is everything.
~ Rainer Maria Rilke

In August, I’m participating in BlogHer’s Blogging Challenge.  The theme this month is: Hot.


W
hy would anyone choose fame?

Today’s Imagination Prompt was reasons why you would nor would not want to be famous.  As a half introvert who spent the majority of her childhood with her head in a book or her eyes on her feet, that’s easy to answer.


I crave and guard my privacy like Davy Jones guards his locker.  Some people don’t understand that ~ they automatically assume you must be up to something nefarious.  “If you’re afraid to show it, it must be illegal/bad/wrong.”  The snarky side of me wants to channel Sheldon Cooper: “No, you just wouldn’t understand; you’re IQ is too tiny.”

The problem is worse than low IQ; it’s low imagination and close-mindedness.
Image Credit: Pinterest

It saddens me that there are people out there who simply can’t fathom why anyone wouldn’t want to share anything and everything.  Shocker, I know, but some of us like being alone now and then.  To bask in the quiet of a summer morning or a winter evening.  To shut out the world and all its useless noise, and find the secret center within and re-charge it.  And if I were famous, my ability to do that would be limited, I think.

That, and I hate having my picture taken.

Boundaries Aren’t Respected
This is a problem I’m already too familiar with.  Holding firm to one’s personal boundaries is tiring when one is dealing with friendly fire.  I cannot even imagine what it would be like to be fending off un-friendlies. 

Everything is Scrutinized
And I mean everything. Clothes, statements, passing comments, Tweets, Facebook posts, vacation plans, houses.  Look, I admire my fair share of famous people for varying reasons, but honestly, I could care less what they wore to this or that event, what they’re eating for breakfast, and whether they’ve gained or lost weight. 

If you do care, I would gently suggest that you look into meeting some real people, going out for a pint, and living a real life.

You Bring Out Their Inner Stalker
Actually, you don’t have to be famous to have this happen to you. I’ve had loved ones stalked by creepy ex-boyfriends.  I can only imagine this is also much worse for celebs.

No Room for Humanity
This is related to the unbearable scrutiny.  When you’re famous, your humanity is suddenly stripped away and God forbid you ever make a mistake, say the wrong thing, or fail.  If you do, you will be eaten alive, and we won’t love you anymore.

No wonder a lot of famous people have a complex and self-medicate.

Loss of Self
This is a fate worse than death ~ to lose oneself to the fame.  To forget who you are because you are badgered, forced, or choose to become someone who is loved by everyone everywhere.  My dears, that is impossible.  Even Mother Theresa was hated by people, and she was a saint!  Many famous people, if they aren’t grounded by real, salt of the earth people around them, forget the old adage: be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

Are famous people able to do things little ol me can’t?  Sure.  But that suits me fine.

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela

Would you like to be famous?  Why or why not?

Pin It

No comments: