06 August 2013

Stay-cations and Mobile Sanctuaries: Carving Out a Place of Peace



Too many people spend too much time trying to perfect something before they actually do it. Instead of waiting for perfection, run with what you know, and fix it along the way…
~ Paul Arden

In August, I’m participating in BlogHer’s Blogging Challenge.  The theme this month is: Hot.



T
his week, I decided to stop waiting for my perfect sanctuary.

With an unstable economy, more people are opting to explore local and regional areas rather than spending a lot of money on a long distance vacation.  And the stay-cation was born.

The same applies to my desire for sanctuary.  If I don’t have one where I live, perhaps I can find one near me?  At least once a month, I have breakfast with a close friend who lives an hour away and stay overnight in a nice hotel.  Does sound like much, but let me tell you ~ a night by myself in a comfort-tastic king size bed and a shower with the water pressure of Niagara Falls is a little slice of heaven.

What can I say?  I’m easy like Sunday morning.
  Image Credit: Pinterest

Carving Out a Place of Peace
But my soul (and body) get beaten down on a daily basis.  And one night a month wasn’t cutting it anymore.  So I’ve decided to schedule a three day weekend every month to travel somewhere new, somewhere peaceful to re-charge my artistic and spiritual batteries.  It doesn’t have to be fancy, it doesn’t have to be far away.  But it does have to be surrounded by beauty, nature, and peace.

For August, my “mobile” sanctuary is a week-long stay in D.C.  A week in in the city does not sound peaceful, but I will be staying in a friend’s apartment while she’s out of town.  So I’ll have solitude and quiet, not to mention a shorter commute, and an organic market within walking distance.  As for the nature and beauty aspect, Great Falls Park isn’t that far away, so I can get my waterfall fix.

Is it ideal?  No.  Will my artistic soul find some peace?  The proof will be in how much I am inspired to write.

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela

Where do you go to find sanctuary?  What do you do during a stay-cation?

Pin It


 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There is nothing more special and important to me than having a full night to myself. Heaven!!!