28 August 2013

La Belle's Hobby Farm: Spicy Summer Tomato Salad



It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato. 
~ Lewis Grizzard

In August, I’m participating in BlogHer’s Blogging Challenge.  The theme this month is: Hot.


I
s it really the end of August?

The gardener is an optimist.  He plants tiny seeds and hopes that they will grow big and strong and produce enough food to put by.

But he is also a realist.  He knows that some seeds won’t sprout.  And even the strongest plants will bend, break, and wither from violent summer storms, triple digit summer days, and voracious critters.  Still he plants, waters, composts, and hopes.  And throughout the summer, he watches and learns. 

And if he’s lucky, he eats the fruit of his hopes.

Image Credit: Mikaela D'Eigh

This should be renamed simply Summer Tomato Salad.  Epicurious is one of my top recipe “go-to” sites.  This is a great salad to use up any remaining tommy toes, peppers, and cucs you have.  My cucs are winding down in production, as are the tomatoes.  I don’t have parsley or mint, so I use arugula and cilantro.  I know ~ either love it or hate.  Well, I love it.

Enjoy!

Oremus pro invicem,
~ Mikaela

What are your favorite spicy summer recipes?

Pin It


 

1 comment:

Winnie said...

I have a lot of tomatoes too! I have been making a lot of pasta sauce and freezing it. I love to steam up some fresh green beans and then sauté onions,garlic and add the tomatoes in and add the beans..Stewed beans. I add herbs and red pepper flakes. I am making my own V8 style juice with them too in my vitamix blender. Yum!